My Mother makes the BEST bread and butter pudding...ever! This is her recipe, but I have tweaked some of the spices a bit. She has been making this since my sisters and I were really small and sometimes used croissants and brioche instead of normal bread.
This recipe is not only delicious, but is also great for a cosy Autumn night in! Enjoy!
You will need:
Slices of white bread
1. Grease a baking tray with oil or butter
2. Spread butter on both sides of the bread and then cut diagonally in half
3. Assemble the buttered bread in an overlapping pattern in the greased baking dish and then set aside.
4. Soak the raisins in hot water for 5 minutes so that they do not burn in the oven and are nice and chewy.
5. Scatter the raisins over the bread in the baking dish
6. For the custard, whisk together the eggs, sugar, milk and spices and then pour over the bread and raisins.
7. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes (or until dark golden brown) and then serve with custard, cream or ice cream!