That's right everyone: the holidays are coming! This lovely dessert both looks and smells like Christmas - you know, the spiced berry scent? I love it!
You will need:
6 cooking/dessert apples
2 packets of fresh blueberries
1 Cup of Caster sugar
1 Shake Cinnamon and Nutmeg
1 cup of Oats
Deep baking oven dish
For the filling:
- Peel the skin off all of the apples. Instead of dicing them into small bits, I like to slice them into thin discs using the same peeler! It makes the apples absorb more of the flavour of the spices and berries instead of not cooking properly and being crunchy.
2. Once the all the apples have been sliced, simply place into a saucepan with the blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and nutmeg. Stir for 8-10 mins, making sure it bubbles without burning. The festive smell of the spiced berries and apples is immense!
3. The mixture will turn a deep purple at this point once the berries have burst, so turn off the heat and leave on the side for 5 minutes. Do not get rid of the excess juice that the fruits create! It will be great in the crumble!
For the crumble topping:
4. Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and then add the cold chunks of butter. Rub though the mixture with your fingers, until the mixture turns golden brown.
5. Then add the sugar (brown sugar works too, but not too much) and the oats for extra crunch!
6. Transfer the apple and berry filling to the baking dish, you can lubricate it with butter if you wish, but I don't bother.
7. Then sprinkle the topping over the top and bake for 30 minutes. When the top of the pudding is golden brown and the sides are bubbling with swirls of purple, it is done!
Serve piping hot with ice-cream, custard or cream! Or you can have it on its own if you prefer!
Let me know if you try my recipe! I know you'll love it! :)