A note from Joelle...
I had a fabulous girly night last week and decided to make a little sweet tray bake to take along with me! I had never made lemon drizzle before, but I had all the ingredients for it, so thought 'why not!?'.
These little babies are fully loaded with sweet, lemony goodness and I even I was surprised how well they turned out!
2 large eggs
A Splash of milk
150g Unsalted Softened Butter
150g Caster Sugar
150g Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Vanilla Extract
Zest and juice of two lemons
6 tbsp Powdered Sugar (icing sugar)
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy
- Then add the vanilla, eggs and milk and whisk until it has all combined
- Slowly sieve in the flour and baking powder a bit at a time in a figure of eight style
- Add the zest of the two lemons and the juice of one (or to your taste), then stir to combine evenly
- Line a baking tray and pour the cake batter into it
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes, or until firm and golden brown.
- Prick the cake all around with a fork, so that a bit of the icing can seep into it
- Wait for the cake to cool in the tray before drizzling with the icing!
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl and slowly add the powdered sugar (make sure to not get lemon seeds in it!)
- When it is at drizzling consistency, pour over the cake and then let it chill
Et voila! A nice, fluffy and lemony drizzle bar! Let me know if you give it a try! :)