A note from Joelle...
This was my first attempt at this classic American dessert and it turned out pretty well, I think!
Lots of people think a cobbler is the same as a crumble, but it really isn't! You'll find out why in the method bit of this post!
You will need:
1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of caster sugar, halved
4 ripe peaches (I used donut peaches, which are sweeter and red in colour)
3 tbsp melted unsalted butter
1 cup milk (I used lactose-free)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
A handful of black cherries (optional) - it enhances the colour of the pudding
A dash of cinnamon
Batter - pour the melted butter into a pan
- mix together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a separate bowl
- add the milk and vanilla and stir to make a smooth batter
- pour into the melted butter, but do not stir
Peaches - In a pan, heat the peaches, cherries, lemon juice and the rest of the sugar until the fruit is soft, but not falling apart
- Stir constantly until the mixture is boiling
- Pour it straight into the batter/butter mixture, but do not stir!
Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar
- Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 35 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown.
Serve warm or cool with icecream or cream !
Just wait until that rich cinnamon and peach aroma hits you - it's unreal!