A note from Joelle...
|Copyright of FebruaryGirl 2014|
A girl's best friend are not diamonds (#Broke), It's CHOCOLATE! It can shine like diamonds (if you temper it well) but you can eat it and feel happy! So when I was kindly gifted a voucher to buy some chocolates from Sent With A Loving Kiss, I was very happy!
I went to the Personalised Chocolates section and chose this beautiful set. This site has a chocolate gift for every family member and occasion, so make sure to check it out.
I loooove the handmade personalisation. Look at all that chocolatey goodness!
I used the shavings of the main bar to decorate the mousses. Here's the recipe:
Salted Caramel Chocolate Mousse
You will need:
100g caster sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp cold water
30g unsalted butter
80ml double cream
Pinch (or two) of sea salt
330g dark chocolate
30g melted butter
For the caramel:
- Place sugar and syrup in a pan and heat until the sugar starts to dissolve
- Add the water and swirl the pan (DO NOT STIR!!) until it is a light brown colour
- Add the 30g unsalted butter and the double cream and then stir until it resembled runny caramel
- Keep on a very low heat, and it will get thicker and stickier, like shop-bought caramel!
- Add the sea salt a bit at a time until it gets to your desired flavour.
For the mousse:
- Melt the chocolate and melted butter together over hot water or in a microwave
- When melted, stir a little bit to combine the two.
- Separate 8 eggs into two bowls
- Add the yolks to the melted butter mixture and stir so that it all combines. If it starts to go a bit lumpy, add a splash of milk
- Whisk the egg whites and the rest of the sugar into stiff peaks with an electric whisk (as if you were making meringue) in another bowl
- Add 1/3 off the whites into the chocolate mix and stir it into the chocolate mix quickly to keep it light and fluffy
- Then, sloooowly fold in the remainder of the whites, trying not to knock out the air! The mixture will start to resemble a real chocolate mousse now (yay!)
- Get some pretty tumblers or ramekins and drizzle some of the caramel at the bottom
- Then layer in mousse neatly and then perhaps a layer of whipped cream or chocolate shavings!
- Put your mousses in the fridge to set up for at least four hours (or three, if you can't last that long!)
- Serve chilled and dig in!!
* I added a dollop of double cream (whipped with icing sugar and vanilla extract) and chocolate shavings to make it even more indulgent!
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think! :)